Past Event – Novemeber 3rd, 2016
The Association of Greek American Professional Women (AGAPW) and the Hellenic Medical Society (HMS) are pleased to invite you to join us at a symposium on the current state of cancer prevention and treatment in America, dedicated to the memory of our dear friend Liz Tsaoussis.
Time: Thursday, November 3rd, 6:30-9:00pm
The topic of cancer has recently taken a center stage issue and focus by the White House. In his final State of the Union address, President Obama tasked Vice President Joe Biden with heading up a new national effort to end cancer as we know it. The ultimate goal of VP Biden’s Moonshot initiative is to achieve a decade worth of advances in cancer prevention, diagnosis, and treatment, in five years.
Please join a panel of experts with years of experience in treating cancer patients across all disciplines of cancer therapy as they discuss the challenges, hopes and future of cancer treatment in America. They represent all areas of cancer treatment including medical oncology, surgical oncology and radiation oncology as well as cancer research.
Moderator: Stella Lymberis, MD
The panelists will bring forth expertise from all areas of cancer treatment, including medical oncology (Alice Zervoudakis, MD, MS), radiation oncology (Stella Lymberis, MD), surgical oncology (Ioannis Hatzaras, MD, MPH, and George Tsioulias, MD) as well as cancer research (Evi Giannakakou, PhD, and Karen Burke, MD, PhD).
We will focus our discussion on concerns regarding cancer treatment, lifestyle and future hope and directions of cancer research. Participants will be able to ask questions and address the speakers with questions at the end of the presentations.
Specific topics to discuss:
– Quality of life concerns
– What living with cancer means for patients diagnosed with metastatic disease
– How a cancer diagnosis changes the lives of patients
– Side effects of cancer treatments (surgery, chemotherapy, radiation) – management and survivorship issues
– Prevention methods
– The importance of cancer research funding
– New directions for cancer research and how they can shape treatment
– The impact of bench research on new therapies for patients
– How attainable is Joe Biden’s Cancer Moonshot proposed goal of making a decade’s worth of progress in cancer prevention, diagnosis, and treatment in 5 years
Refreshments and snacks will be served.
Please RSVP here (you will be redirected to the Eventbrite secure connection).
We are looking forward to seeing you!
For the photo album of the event, please click here.
For the video of the event, please click here.