The Association of Greek American Professional Women (A.G.A.P.W.) is a 501(c)(3) charitable and educational organization under Section 402 of the Non-for-Profit Corporation Law of the State of New York. The organization was founded in New York City in March of 2010 and is run on a pro bono basis. Forging collaboration and establishing partnerships with other organizations inside and outside the Greek-American community, its mission is to promote community and leadership building among Greek-American women.
AGAPW’s specific charitable and educational purposes shall be to:
- Offer educational activities that will develop and expand the opportunities among Greek American women for acquiring the knowledge and skills needed for professional development, leadership in the workforce and social empowerment. The Corporation will offer forums, discussions, workshops, seminars, lectures, panels, conferences and symposia in areas such as career development, professional and business planning, investing, finance, technical skills, communication and network building, including:
- Workshops, panels and discussions on topics such as leadership and decision making skills, career development, the college admission process, securing financing for businesses or education, preparing a resume, web design, familiarity with systems software, small business accounting, writing a successful business plan, internet-based marketing and networking techniques, and strategic planning for business
- Lectures and seminars promoting education on various fields, such as small businesses, education, media, public affairs, science, and the arts
- Conferences, forums and symposia which will offer a thorough and comprehensive examination and in-depth understanding of employment and career-related topics and opportunities important to improving the professional lives and hence the quality of lives of Greek American women
- Seek to establish scholarship funds to help Greek American women participate in higher education
- Serve as a source of referrals for internships available in various sectors of the economy including business, government and educational institutions
- Facilitate the personal development and networking capabilities of Greek American women through regularly scheduled meetings, cultural and social networking events, and cultural and educational trips
- Conduct any and all lawful activities which may be useful in accomplishing the foregoing purposes
AGAPW meets the needs of communication and support among Greek American women, who together work to improve the quality of their lives, families, and communities in the U.S., Greece and other areas of the world.
Olga Alexakos, Ph.D.
Sophia Catsambis, Ph.D.
Effie Lekas, M.B.A.
Olga Alexakos, Ph.D., President
Pannie Trifillis, Ph.D., Vice-President/Secretary
Irene Sarri, M.Sc., Treasurer
BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
Olga Alexakos, Ph.D.
Irene Sarri, M.Sc.
Pannie Trifillis, Ph.D.
Aphrodite Désirée Navab, Ph.D, — Honorary Director Emerita
EXCELLENCE TUITION SCHOLARSHIP ALUMNI AMBASSADOR:
Nikoletta Toffoloni, BSc
Rania Antonopoulos, Ph.D.
Nicholas Colombos, M.B.A.
Virginia Davies, S.J.D.
Paraskevi (Evi) Giannakakou, Ph.D.
Harriet Pavles George (Judge, Ret.)
Anastasia Romanou, Ph.D.
Katherine Schwab, Ph.D.
Aravella Simotas, Esq.
Liana Theodoratou, Ph.D.
Penny Tsilas, J.D.
George Tsougarakis, Esq.
Hughes Hubbard & Reed, LLP